EATS // a salad staple: winter spa salad with lemon chicken
Profile picture courtesy of Pinch of Yum.
Trust me on this one, you will WANT this salad in your rotation for lunches and dinners.
See, I love salads, but not just ordinary salads. I love a salad that is a hearty meal. One that you can indulge in without feeling unsatisfied, while not feeling like you ate enough to feed 10 people. Salads that have a myriad of flavour and ingredients that beef it up so you feel like you're eating a FULL meal. Otherwise, its just too basic for me and won't do a damn thing to curb my hunger.
I definitely go through my ups and downs with these healthy meals as I will often go on a salad bender and eat a bunch of them, experimenting along the way while other times, its the last thing I want to eat. That's when I just crave hearty carbs like pasta dishes or casseroles. Or, most recently, I prepped some of Chrissy Teigen's legendary, indulgent Mac & Cheese to freeze while I prepare to go into full-on hibernation-new-mommy-mode.
So when I discovered Pinch of Yum's Winter Spa Salad with Lemon Chicken, it was just what my appetite (and my stomach) ordered. I hadn't eaten kale in a while and I was craving it badly. This salad included all the ingredients I had in my kitchen - BONUS - so I set out to make this for dinner on Saturday night. Luckily, Nate is not a fussy eater and he often loves the salads I bring to the table (what guy wouldn't....I mean having a women cook for you who LOVES to cook...this guy has it M-A-D-E!)
When the final product was finished, all I can say it was better than I ever expected. It was so tasty, that we knew right away, it would be in our regular rotation of salads ('rotation' is also Nate's way of saying....MAKE THIS AGAIN!). I adapted the salad just a bit to fit with what I had, and craved so I've listed those ingredients below, but I HAD to share this recipe! Its a wonderfully, tasty, hearty, healthy, winter salad that would be great on its own or as a side to a bigger meal. But I prefer it on its own because it really does have everything in it to make your tummy satisfied.
Pinch of Yum's Winter Spa Salad
with Lemon Chicken
(recipe slightly adapted, see notes below)
For the Salad:
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cara cara oranges, peeled and cut into pieces (I used navel oranges)
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups spinach, torn or cut into small pieces (I used kale)
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- a handful of chopped fresh herbs like parsley or mint (I didn't have any on hand and was delish without)
- I added approx. 1/4 C of pistachio nuts!
For the Chicken Marinade:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of one half of a lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or Greek yogurt (I used plain greek Olympik Krema yogurt)
- 1-2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (I used what I had - apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, or other grainy mustard
- salt, pepper, and/or honey to taste
- Whisk marinade ingredients together. Place in a bowl with the chicken, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (while prepping other stuff) or as long as 2 hours.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Heat the oil in a pan or pre-heat a griddle. Discard extra marinade from chicken and grill the chicken pieces until cooked through. Let stand for a few minutes to cool before cutting.
- Toss all other salad ingredients, including chicken, together with the dressing! Season with additional salt and pepper and maybe a drizzle of good olive oil. Easy peasy.